I don’t think anyone is still reading this.
I’ve moved all my stuff over to my new site. I’m keeping this around for historical purposes, to remember things like:
All took place in the year after I got back from the last dep, aka my second year of school. Good times, those.
Post with 12 notes
It’s no secret that my skills as far as web development is concerned are pretty much nonexistent, but at the same time, having a personal website or project websites is pretty useful. Previously, I had a hand-coded site which consequently had only two or three pages in it. I thought there should be a better way. I didn’t want to use a full-on web framework like django or catalyst just to create simple sites; there was no need for that. I just wanted to write a few simple pages, have it work and have a consistent site without dealing with the overhead of a framework.
Some of my personal requirements were (are):
has to be posix-compliant, because I routinely use OpenBSD, debian linux, ubuntu linux, RHEL, and OS X. all of those are POSIX operating systems, so I should have a system that works across the board.
dependency-light, because I don’t want to have to worry about which packages I have installed on which box for which interpreter.
generate correct and lynx-friendly pages, because I like things to be written properly and lynx is my default browser in many cases (pretty much any time I use surfraw).
sites should be customisable with templates and which markdown editor they use.
it should automate the tedium out of designing sites, letting me concentrate on content.
I found the suckless web framework and it worked for generating several sites, but didn’t work so well on openbsd and it choked on my large site. I decided to take the principle of sw and apply it to my own framework. I spent a few days coding up something in /bin/sh that uses sed, echo, and grep and only the posix-defined options (i.e. \c in echo instead of -n) to maximise portability.
The code works and it works pretty well - I’ve got it generating the following sites:
the rawk homepage - currently generated in OS X
my personal homepage - currently generated in debian
coder.kyleisom.net - currently generated in debian
my devio.us homepage - currently generated in OpenBSD
if you need to generate sites and don’t need dynamic content, you might check out rawk.
Post with 16 notes
Needed to figure out how to type some Swedish letters:
setxkbmap se setxkbmap en_US
Photo with 7 notes
The SheevaPlug, running deb-armel and being used as lisp development machine. I primarily use it to run gcl, plt-scheme, and emacs (so as not to infect other machines with emacs).
I recently started a project to build a wearable beagleboard based system.
I’m trying to dig up my ARM JTAG system to rejuvinate the mp3 player project, and I have some crazy ideas for an AVR arduino-like system.
Post with 2 notes
I dual boot Windows XP and OpenBSD (I used alpeh0’s excellent tutorial at http://www.aleph0.com/computing/openbsd/dualboot/ ). I recently upgraded to 4.7/i386 and realized my clock was now out of sync.
Just need to redo the following steps in the tutorial: “Then, as root, enter config -e -f /bsd. At the prompt, enter timezone 480, substituting whatever number is appropriate. If you’re currently under daylight saving time (during the summer), use timezone 480 1. Enter quit, reboot, and you’re all set.”
I just returned to pf after a year (maybe longer) away from it. I had fun returning to pf and getting my soekris running as a router / VPN / blah blah blah. This post is mostly stuff I’ll need to remember in the future if / when I get stuck doing other stuff.
The new scrub rule format is like such:
match in all scrub (options)
Need to remember this.
And as for the NAT rules, here’s an easy starter:
nat on $RED_IF inet from $GREEN_IF:network to any -> ($RED_IF)
As for binat you’re on your own.
Lastly, reassemble tcp tends to screw up ssh on the outbound side (i.e. no match out all scrub (reassemble tcp)) so don’t do it.
That’s all for now.
Dropping offline for about a month for some work-related fun.
Had to make some large revisions to the roboduino board: namely, I had miscounted the pins on the programming header and was using only five pins instead of six and I was using one decoupling cap for both AVCC and VCC, among other errors. The design has been refined. New schematics are available, and soon I will sleep (at 0715 in the morning) so maybe I can design things without such glaring errors.
Full-size schematic available at http://twitpic.com/14jj26.
I quickly laid out a DIP/PTH variant of the design and a TQFP/SMD version of the design, and hopefully by the end of April I’ll be able to pull out prototypes for testing.
In designing this robot, I’ve realized that every Arduino board I’ve seen so far has been lacking one thing that I wanted to see: the ability to mount it to a platform using screw holes. I began designing my own, using the Arduino 2009 reference design as a starting point. However, I started designing it at 0430 and finished right around 0515. I’ve posted a PDF of the schematic as well as a PNG below for critique. If it looks good, and once I find some money, I’m going to order the PCB through batchPCB and give it a test run. After that, I’ll consider actually publishing the Eagle files - if I found it useful, someone else might too. If someone knows of a project with an Arduino with screw holes, I’d be interested. Due to the fact that building a robot is what motivated it, I’m nicknaming it the Roboduino for now until I can think of another name.
A full-size version of the schematic is available at http://twitpic.com/14j3xz.
Page 1 of 16